Saturday 23 June 2007

John would be proud - artists make a stand for human rights

“When you're drowning, you don't say 'I would be incredibly pleased if someone would have the foresight to notice me drowning and come and help me,' you just scream.” .....JOHN LENNON

Even as a young child, I had incredible respect for John Lennon and his beliefs.


Those of you that know me personally know just how much many of his principles have shaped the way I think.


“My role in society, or any artist's or poet's role, is to try and express what we all feel. Not to tell people how to feel. Not as a preacher, not as a leader, but as a reflection of us all.”...JOHN LENNON

One of the darkest days I can recall was when I found out John had been murdered. Aside from the obvious and sad loss of a husband (to Yoko), a father (to John's children), a musical virtuoso (to us fans) I saw it as a huge loss to the promotion of human rights and peace protests of our era. The movements that John was so dedicated to.

John Lennon connected with people.

People related to John.

He was a very rare person, an influential activist.

Without John, how many others had the ability via music, or any other avenue, to get the message out so distinctly to earth's inhabitants. Who had the guts to stand up in the face of those in power and give them what for?

Bob Geldof stood up and shouldered some of the responsibility.

"It's really very simple, Governor. When people are hungry they die. So spare me your politics and tell me what you need and how you're going to get it to these people"...... BOB GELDOF

He was the face of, and the driving force behind, Band Aid & Band Aid 20 - and now, amongst other things, does a fantastic job fighting to Make Poverty History.

'There's a world outside your window, and it's a world of dread and fear'.....BAND AID

Bob is extremely vocal and very well informed. I respect him greatly on this issue - but not on all of his beliefs.

"The total amount of aid going into Africa on annual basis by 2010 will be $50 billion. That's between the seven richest countries on the planet who count their annual budgets in trillions of dollars. It's like me saying to my little kid: 'Here is $3 pocket money and I'm going to take 2¢ out of that and give it to Africa'." .......BOB GELDOF


I could waffle on for hours about John Lennon & Bob Geldof.. but..ahem..I've gone off on a tangent again havn't I? I'm good at that.. now, back to what I was going to blog about!


Instant Karma: The Campaign To Save Darfur

"Instant Karma: The Amnesty International Campaign to Save Darfur," the new global "Make Some Noise" project from Amnesty International, seeks to mobilize millions around the urgent catastrophe in Darfur, Sudan. It combines the power of John Lennon's music recorded by some of the world's best-known artists, together with cutting-edge forms of instant activism enabled by Internet and mobile technologies.

This album, I will be purchasing this week.
I (we) are so very fortunate to live in the style we do.

Where you sit, right now, reading this, take a look at your life...stop for just a minute, look at what you have

now.....compare it to someone in Sudan.

PERSPECTIVE PEOPLE,

PERSPECTIVE!

This work is a great gesture from musical artists of today. I'm sure John would be very impressed and honoured to have his music played by a new generation and more importantly, still sending out his message.

Proceeds derived from the entire campaign will go directly to support Amnesty International’s urgent work in Darfur, Sedan and other human rights crises worldwide.

double click on the arrow in the middle of the box to watch this short video


Yoko Ono granted the rights to John Lennon’s entire solo songbook to Amnesty International (the world’s largest grassroots human rights organisation) to use as the centerpiece of this project and to inspire and invigorate a new generation of human rights activists.

As a solo artist, John Lennon's unique talent and passionate campaign for world peace made him one of the most influential activists the world has ever known.

"Peace is no violence, no frustration, no fear," claimed Lennon - and with this lyrical mantra, he strived to promote the issues he believed in, inspiring change through music which both provoked and united communities.

In a world plagued by war, poverty, and fear, John's message is just as relevant today as it was when first written.

Lennon's use of music, modern communication techniques, and celebrity status created unprecedented support for the peace and civil rights movements. He was a man who not only spoke truth to power, but understood that music was itself power - a unique way to touch people's hearts and minds, and inspire them to stand up for human rights.


Amnesty International is profoundly grateful to Yoko Ono for her extraordinary gift of Lennon's solo catalogue for use in this project. With the gift, she had in mind to help Amnesty International create the next generation of activists.

May this new generation join us in making a positive impact on our world.

From speaking to my friends recently, I know a few really appreciated some of the quotes I used in an earlier post on my blog. Here is a small selection of some of my favorites.

"Poverty is the worst form of violence"..... Mohandas Gandhi

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it".....ALBERT EINSTEIN

"No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world".....ROBIN WILLIAMS

"If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it, I know I can achieve it".....JESSE JACKSON

"I really feel this is such a serious time for us all that being silent is not an option".....GEORGE MICHAEL

"Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent".....NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

"You are not only responsible for what you say, but also for what you do not say".....MARTIN LUTHER

"The things which are most important don't always scream the loudest".....BOB HAWKE

"Stand before the people you fear and speak your mind - even if your voice shakes".....MAGGIE KUHN

Let us collectively raise our voices in the on going struggle for peace & human rights.
.

2 comments:

Just Me said...

The CD shop didn't have the CD for me to buy.. go figure !

Melly` said...

Sending you my cousin's rant I found in the email this evening... seems we are all feeling this....

I hope we bloody are.

And of course we will get the CD last of all.....