Saturday 9 June 2007

It's Wintersun time again ! part 1

.
WINTERSUN FESTIVAL

Wintersun is Australia's leading annual Retro Nostalgia Festival. Held in Coolangatta over 10 days, it is a fun filled (and alcohol in many cases) festival showcasing over 1500 Hot Rods, Custom and Classic Cars, as well as Rock 'n' Roll music, dancing, movies & street parades.
.
Parking is a right royal pain in the bum if you don't get there early enough. Cars were parked everywhere including places they shouldn't aught! The streets were crammed with drivers trying to find somewhere to park. I, of course, totally arsed it and found a very close park. Second time today. I do seem to have an uncanny ability to find good parks very quickly. My son said that he hopes he has inherited that 'arsey' gene from me.

,

To me, Wintersun is a time where suddenly many male residents of my area sprout tacky sideburns, grease their hair back and.. if they are lucky.. dust off their Creeper shoes for another year of street dancing!


In some cases, they dust off their Betty Boo bags also...
.

. Some visitors showing off their lovely sunglasses. Very pretty but I'm sure the Cancer Council didn't endorse these ones!
Creeper shoes look like (and I've been told on good authority) to be the most comfortable shoes .. They have a double sole which hides a coffin shaped compartment for money notes, house keys, condoms .. or.. umm.. ahhh....other smallish things!
.
Check these out !














.

.

Yes, that is Elvis on one of those shoes.. he gets everywhere ya know.

In the photo below, you can see what the shoe looks like after the fake inner sole is taken out.. the little coffin shaped container comes out when you pull a string.. then you hide your 'goodies' in there for safe keeping ! Out of sight, out of mind and not sticking into the bottom of you foot !

.
The hair & sideburns?

Truth is I love all of this.. but my (and my childrens - much to their amusement and somtimes horror) main aim each year is to capture as many tacky fake Elvis' as I can with my camera. I missed the day parade this year as we were viewing Shrek the third in the local cinema instead.. so as a consequence, we missed most of the Elvis' and all of the Marilyns. Still we had an absolute ball.

Now.. where was I?
.
Oh yes, the hair & sideburns! GAWD!!
.












.

This chap was more than happy to stop the car and strike a pose for me. I must say, he was an awfully good Elvis - even had the voice down pat! .

The driver of the car was dressed as Elwood from the Blues Brothers. He did that wonderfully also. Think I'd enjoy a party with some of these fun people ! What do you say Lish & Mel... next dress up is gonna be a 50's ??>

. .
This man had a fantastic sense of humour. Does it show? (lol)

He was part of a group that walked up and down all the streets of the fesitval - constantly singing. As a group, they are shown in the next photograph. Good listening too.. most impressive. Rather negative of me I know, but I have to admit, I did not expect them to sound that good!

.

,
Now, tell me, what DO you think these people were selling?

And WHY didn't they have a constant stream of customers?

.

Hmmm... on that note..I think I'll make this the end of Wintersun post, part one

.

6 comments:

Jerry Adams said...

B.J.'s looooool ..... butbutbutbut... they're all guys!!!

LuSh said...

Just watch out for the special sauce...

and hell yes you know I'll take the piss out of myself at any given invitation.

How's late next August?

Just Me said...

Jarek... click on the photo to enlarge.. two of the three working in the BJ's booth are female.. I guess they are catering for everyone?

Lish.. late next August sounds way too far away.. but considering the distance.. it sounds great! Consider it a booking !

Jerry Adams said...

two of the three working in the BJ's booth are female <<< they look more like duuds with manboobs :S

Melly` said...

Oh - great pics. I dunno why BJ's has no customers. I would have to buy from them just .. well just cause. I would pass on Lishy's "special sauce" though.

Just Me said...

btw.. pmsl @ the special sauce !