Thursday 21 June 2007

A glorious drive just minutes from home

Went for a drive to fix a friends computer today.

What a terrible chore it is to HAVE to drive out this way !

Even after (more than) 3 years, I am still overcome by the beauty of the area I live in.





















Maybe the reason I love the green hinterlands is because I grew up living in
South Australia (the driest state, of the driest inhabited continent)

Here, when you drive south, the roads are surrounded with sugar cane fields.



















Today, as I left the 'burbs in my rear vision mirror, one of the first critters to pop out and say hello, was a bush turkey. This photo was actually taken a while ago, but this is what he looked like.
























15 minutes down the road, you could be forgiven in thinking that you are almost in the middle of nowhere.

In some places (where I couldn't stop the car to take a photo..grrr!) the tree tops almost touch above you. Very enticing in our hot summer let me tell you!


Today, however, it was very cool for us... bah.. its winter.. what can I expect?













Of course, with all these wonderful trees here, the bird life is incredible. The most colourful noisy bastards live here - but I still love em.

I will do a post on our local birds soon, I have been asked about them by many people.. probably cause I always whinge about their noise?

















What appears to be a large rock in the background is the World Heritage Listed
Mount Warning. It was named Mt Warning by Captain Cook in May, 1770.

It was ORIGINALLY named Wollumbin by the local Indigenous Bundjalung people. Many (including me) think that this should be its correct title and in recent times, it has been widely adopted.



















It is actually an extinct volcano, who's naughty wrath ceased over 20 million years ago.

For quite a good read on this, click here

This helps to explain why we have such lush, generous soil in our region.



Very close to where I took these photographs is a lovely National Park. I have photos that I have taken there, and will make a post of that very soon :) just gotta resize the pics for those that are still on dial up
(*shudder * I still recall the 56k days)


I was gonna dribble on a bit more about our region, and Wollumbin certainly deserves it, but damn it, im freezing my arse off here.

Off to the warm bed with me !



2 comments:

LuSh said...

Freezing ur ass off there... and you think you could handle time down here in sunny Taswegia... I mean hey, it was a delicious 11 today, much better than the 7 of the other day

Melly` said...

You are both making me feel cold.

JM - love the photos! Take a boat to South Straddy! (Wait I wouldnt just yet - too cold!)